Cloud Based Software
The line between a cloud app and a web app remains as blurry as ever. This of course stems from the natural similarities that exist between them. I'm of the opinion, however, that there are noteworthy differences, especially when looking to leverage cloud apps for richer user customization experience and seamless integration with resilient and scalable back-end infrastructure, which often characterizes public cloud services.
Cloud app is the evolved web app. It's equally used to access online services over the Internet like web apps but not always exclusively dependent on web browsers to work. It's possible for a customizable, multi-tenancy cloud app to be solely available over the web browser from service providers, but quite often the web-interface is used as alternative access methods to the custom built cloud app for online services.
Services & Solutions:
- Data is stored in a cloud / cloud-like infrastructure
- Data can be cached locally for full-offline mode
- Support for different user requirements, e.g., data backup cloud app with different features such as data compression, security, backup schedule
- Can be used from web browser and/or custom built apps installed on Internet connected devices such as desktops, mobile phones
- Can be used to access a wider range of services such as on-demand computing cycle, storage, application development platforms